Specification 25 Photoluminescent exit signs
2019: Spec E4.8: 1
2019: Spec E4.8: 2
A photoluminescent exit sign must comply with Section 5 and Appendix D of AS/NZS 2293.1, except where varied by this Specification.
2019: Spec E4.8: 3
A photoluminescent exit sign must—
- be maintained in a continuously charged state by a minimum illumination of 100 lux at the face of the sign by a dedicated light source with a colour temperature not less than 4000 K; and
- in the event of a power failure, continue to provide a minimum luminance of 30 mcd/m2 for not less than 90 minutes; and
- have its performance verified by testing in accordance with ASTM E2073-10, except the activation illumination in clause 8.3 is replaced with 54 lux.
2019: Spec E4.8: 4
Pictorial elements on a photoluminescent exit sign must—
- where the colour white is used, be replaced with a photoluminescent material; and
- be not less than 1.3 times larger than that specified in Table 5.1 of AS/NZS 2293.1; and
- have a border of photoluminescent material that extends not less than 15 mm beyond the pictorial elements.
2019: Spec E4.8: 5
The maximum viewing distance in clause 5.6 of AS/NZS 2293.1 must not be more than 24 m.
Smoke control systems
2019: Spec E4.8: 6
Smoke control systems required by clause 5.3 of AS/NZS 2293.1 do not apply to a photoluminescent exit sign.