TAS Part I15 Premises for lead processing
Introduction to this Part
This Part contains additional requirements for premises used for lead processing.
TAS I15D1 Application of Part2019: TAS H117.1
- provide for the safety and comfort of workers; and
- be constructed in a manner that will minimise the lodgement of dust and must be capable of being flushed with water.
TAS I15D2 Floors2019: TAS H117.2
- so constructed of concrete or other suitable material as to be smooth and impervious to fluids; and
- graded and properly drained to permit flushing with water.
TAS I15D3 Height of lead processing areas2019: TAS H117.3
Every part of a lead processing area must be not less than 2.7 m in height—
- where a ceiling is provided, measured from the floor to the ceiling; or
- where a ceiling is not provided, measured from the floor to the lowest part of the roof.
TAS I15D4 Air space and floor space2019: TAS H117.4
TAS I15D5 Interior of lead processing areas2019: TAS H117.5
TAS I15D6 Dust collection2019: TAS H117.6
Any areas in which dust-forming lead particles are manipulated, moved or treated must be served by a mechanical exhaust ventilation system capable of safely and effectively collecting all dust.
TAS I15D7 Isolation of certain processes2019: TAS H117.7
Where any process of pasting of electric accumulator plates or drying of paste plates, or melting down of pasted plates or of formation with tacking in the electric accumulator industry or of manipulation of dry oxide or lead, is to be carried out in the same room as any other lead process, the process of pasting, drying, melting, formation or manipulation must be isolated from one another and from any other lead process—
- by a partition extending from the floor to the ceiling in the case of a room having a ceiling not more than 3.6 m in height, or to a height of 2.7 m in any other case; or
- by some other suitable method.
TAS I15D8 Drying room shelves2019: TAS H117.8
The racks or shelves provided in any drying room must be not more than 2.6 m from the floor nor more than 650 mm in width except that, in the case of racks or shelves set or drawn from both sides, the total width must not exceed 1.3 m.
TAS I15D9 Washing facilities2019: TAS H117.9
Washing facilities served with running hot and cold water for the use of all employees engaged in a lead process must be provided consisting of—
- one washbasin for each 5 employees, or part thereof; and
- one shower bath for each 8 employees, or part thereof.
TAS I15D10 Change rooms2019: TAS H117.10
In every work place in which lead is processed there must be provided two suitable furnished change rooms for the use of employees as follows—
- one of the change rooms must be used for taking off, storing, and putting on of the street clothing of employees; and
- the other of the change rooms must be used for taking, storing, and putting on of overalls or other clothing work in any work room; and
- each change room must be so constructed and situated as to prevent the entry into the room of dust and fumes generated in a work room; and
- each change room must be in close proximity to the washing facilities required in TAS I15D9.