Specification 24 Lift installations
2019: Spec E3.1: 1
This Specification contains requirements for electric passenger lift installations and electrohydraulic passenger lift installations.
Lift cars exposed to solar radiation
2019: Spec E3.1: 2
- mechanical ventilation at a rate of one air change per minute; or
- mechanical cooling.
Lift car emergency lighting
2019: Spec E3.1: 3
A lift car must have an emergency lighting system designed—
- to come on automatically upon failure of the normal lighting supply; and
- to provide at least 20 lux of lighting for 2 hours on the alarm initiation button.
Cooling of lift shaft
2019: Spec E3.1: 4
While a lift in a lift shaft is in service, the cooling of the lift shaft must—
- ensure that the dry bulb air temperature in the lift shaft does not exceed 40°C; and
- if the cooling is by a ventilation system, be provided with an air change rate determined using a temperature rise of no more than 5 K.
Lift foyer access
2019: Spec E3.1: 5
Where there is a security foyer in a building, access may be via locked security doors provided—
- security doors revert to the unlocked state in the event of—
- power failure; or
- fire alarm; and
- locked foyer areas are monitored by closed circuit television and intercom system to a 24 hour staffed location.
Emergency access doors in a single enclosed lift shaft
2019: Spec E3.1: 6
- The clear opening size of emergency doors must be not less than 600 mm wide x 980 mm high.
- Hinged doors must not open towards the interior of the lift shaft.
- Doors must be self-closing and self-locking.
- Doors must be marked on the landing side with the letters not less than 35 mm high:DANGER LIFTWELL ACCESSKEEP FURNITURE AND FIXTURES CLEAR
- Doors from the landing side must only be openable by a tool.
- Each emergency door must be provided with a positive breaking electrical contact, wired into the control circuit to prevent movement of the lift until the emergency door is both closed and locked.
- ropes are installed; and
- the vertical distance between the lift car sill and the landing door head is less than 600 mm; and
- the counterweight is resting on its fully compressed buffer.