Specification 20 Smoke detection and alarm systems
VIC S20C4 Smoke detection system2019: Spec E2.2a: 4
- if the building accommodates more than 20 residents, manual call points must be installed in paths of travel so that no point on a floor is more than 30 m from a manual call point; and
- indication of the zone where the smoke detection system has actuated must be achieved by one of the following:
- Option 1—
- remote automatic indication of each zone must be given in each smoke compartment; and
- indication of (A) must be indicated on remote annunciator panels with alpha-numeric displays with a minimum of 20 characters of 9 mm minimum height.
- Option 2—
- indication of the zone where the smoke detection system has actuated must be communicated via a suitable interface with the fire indicator panel to a portable remote communication device; and
- at least one such portable remote communication device per smoke compartment must be provided to staff nominated by the owner or operator and properly instructed as to the duties and responsibilities involved; and
- the portable remote communication device may be a pager with alpha-numeric display or portable telephone handset with capability of receiving alpha-numeric display.
- Option 1—
VIC S20C8 System monitoring2019: VIC Spec E2.2a: 8
The following installations must be connected to a fire alarm monitoring system connected to a fire station or a fire station dispatch centre in accordance with AS 1670.3:
- A smoke detection system in a Class 3 building provided in accordance with S20C2(b)(i) or (ii).
- A smoke detection system in a Class 9a health-care building, if the building accommodates more than 20 patients, unless the building is sprinklered and the sprinkler system is permanently connected to a fire station, or other approved monitoring service with a direct data link to a fire station, in accordance with Building Practice Note FS-01.
- Smoke detection in accordance with S20C6 provided to activate—
- An automatic fire detection and alarm system required by E2D10 for large isolated buildings subject to C3D4.