TAS Part I18 Temporary structures
TAS I18P2 Safety and serviceability2019: TAS H123 P1
A temporary structure must, to the degree necessary, be capable of sustaining at an acceptable level of safety and serviceability the most adverse combination of loads and other actions to which it may reasonably be expected to be subjected.
TAS I18P3 Resistance to the spread of fire2019: TAS H123 P2
The material used in a temporary structure must, to the degree necessary, be capable of resisting the spread of fire to limit the generation of smoke and heat, and any toxic gases likely to be produced.
TAS I18P4 Access2019: TAS H123 P3
- walking surfaces with safe gradients; and
- stairways and ramps with slip-resistant walking surfaces; and
- suitable handrails where necessary to assist and provide stability to people using a stairway or ramp.
TAS I18P5 Exits2019: TAS H123 P4
- travel distances to exits; and
- number, mobility and other characteristics of the occupants; and
- function or use of the structure.
TAS I18P6 Fall prevention2019: TAS H123 P5
Where a person could fall 1 m or more, due to a sudden change of level within or associated with a temporary structure, a barrier must to the degree necessary, be provided which must be—
- continuous and extend for the full extent of the hazard; and
- of a height to protect people from accidentally falling from the level; and
- constructed to prevent people falling through the barrier; and
- capable of restricting the passage of children; and
- of a strength and rigidity to withstand the foreseeable impact of people and where appropriate, the static pressure or people pressing against it.
TAS I18P8 Identification of exits2019: TAS H123 P7
To facilitate evacuation from a temporary structure suitable signs or other means of identification must, to the degree necessary—
TAS I18P9 Fire-fighting equipment2019: TAS H123 P8
Fire equipment must be installed in a temporary structure to the degree necessary, to allow the occupants to undertake initial attack on a fire appropriate to the—
- function or use of the structure; and
- fire hazard.
TAS I18P10 Sanitary facilities2019: TAS H123 P9
Sanitary facilities for personal hygiene must be provided in a convenient location associated with a temporary structure, to the degree necessary, appropriate to the—
- function or use of the structure; and
- number and gender of the occupants; and
- disability or other particular needs of the occupants.
TAS I18P11 Artificial lighting2019: TAS H123 P10
TAS I18P13 Electrical services2019: TAS H123 P12
Electrical services must be installed to the degree necessary, to provide a level of safety appropriate to the environment and function or use of a temporary structure by the occupants.
TAS I18P14 Heating appliances2019: TAS H123 P13
Where provided for a temporary structure, a heating appliance and its associated components must be installed to the degree necessary—
- to withstand the temperatures likely to be generated by the appliance; and
- so that it does not raise the temperature of any structural element to a level that would adversely affect the element’s physical or mechanical properties or function; and
- so that hot products of combustion will not—
- escape through the walls of the associated components; and
- discharge to a position that will cause fire to spread to nearby combustible materials or allow smoke to penetrate the temporary structure; and
- to reduce the likelihood of fire and harmful emissions spreading beyond the appliance.
TAS I18P15 Tiered seating2019: TAS H123 P14
A temporary structure of tiered seating must be designed and constructed to the degree necessary, to provide for the safety of occupants and orderly means of evacuation in an emergency.
TAS I18P16 Safe environment2019: TAS H123 P15
A temporary structure must, to the degree necessary, be a safe and hazard free environment for the people using the structure.
TAS I18D2 Deemed-to-Satisfy Provisions2019: TAS H123.1
- Disability access requirements, which are included in TAS I18D3.
- Lighting requirements, which are included in TAS I18D4.
- Ventilation requirements, which are included in TAS I18D5.
- Electrical requirements, which are included in TAS I18D6.
- Heating appliance requirements, which are included in TAS I18D7.
TAS I18D3 Access2019: TAS H123.4
- 1 wheelchair space for up to 100 seats; and
- 2 wheelchair spaces for 100 - 200 seats; and
- an additional wheelchair space for each additional 200 seats or part thereof.
TAS I18D4 Lighting2019: TAS H123.11
TAS I18D5 Ventilation2019: TAS H123.12
TAS I18D6 Electrical2019: TAS H123.13
All electrical installations in a temporary structure must be installed in accordance with AS/NZS 3000.
TAS I18D7 Heating appliances2019: TAS H123.14
The installation of a stove, heater or similar appliance in a temporary structure must as far as practicable comply with the following standards:
- Domestic oil-fired appliances – Installation: AS 1691.
- Domestic solid-fuel burning appliances – Installation: AS/NZS 2918.
- LP gas portable mobile appliances: AS 2658.