NSW Part I5 Temporary structures
Introduction to this Part
NSW Part I5 contains Deemed-to-Satisfy Provisions for temporary structures used as an entertainment venue.
Application of Part
In this Part, a reference to an entrance or exit does not include a reference to an entrance or exit provided for persons or animals performing in a temporary structure.
Exits — exclusions
Exits must be so provided and arranged as to afford a ready means of egress from all parts of a temporary structure.
Location of exits
Without limiting the generality of NSW I5D3—
- the number of exits to be provided for a temporary structure designed to accommodate a number of persons specified in Column 1 of NSW Table I5D4 must be not less than the number of exits specified in Column 2 of that Table in respect of that number of persons; and
- the aggregate width of the exits to a temporary structure designed to accommodate a number of persons specified in Column 1 of NSW Table I5D4 must be not less than the width specified in Column 3 of that Table in respect of that number of persons.
|Column 1: accommodation provided (persons)||Column 2: number of exits required||Column 3: Aggregate width of exits (mm)|
|1 - 25||1 - 2||1000|
|26 - 50||2||1500|
|51 - 75||2||2000|
|76 - 100||2||2500|
|101 - 200||2||3000|
|201 - 400||3||4500|
|401 - 600||4||6000|
|601 - 800||5||7500|
|801 - 1000||5||9000|
|Over 1000||5 exits plus one additional exit for each additional 450 persons, or part thereof.||9000 mm, plus 500 mm for each additional 50 persons or part thereof.|
Exits to be provided
Vertical clearance for exits
A flap or curtain used to cover an exit must be so designed that, when it is secured, it will not obstruct or impede egress.
Curtains across exits
Curtains and blinds
Fabric that is used in the construction of a temporary structure must have—
- a Flammability Index of not more than 6 where used—
- within a height of 4 m from the base of the temporary structure; or
- in an air-supported temporary structure without other supporting framework; and
- a Flammability Index of not more than 25 in any other case.
- in the case of a stepped platform, from the front of the first riser; and
- in the case of an inclined platform, from the front of the first row of seating,
to the back of the highest platform and along the rear of that platform for its full width.
Seating must be provided in accordance with NSW I4D18, NSW I4D19, NSW I4D20(b), NSW I4D22(a) and (c), NSW I4D23(a) and NSW I4D25(a), (b), (c) and (d).
Suitable sanitary accommodation must be provided at a location convenient to the temporary structure.
No fireplace or other form of heating equipment may be installed in a temporary structure, without the consent of the approval authority.
Fireplaces and heating
Electrical services connected to the local supply authority’s mains, to a generating plant or to a battery supply must comply with—
- the requirements of the local supply authority; and
- AS 3002; and
- where applicable, AS/NZS 3000; and
- NSW I4D51(a) and NSW I4D53(a).
Artificial lighting: general
Emergency lighting must be provided to the areas provided with artificial lighting under NSW I5D15 and must include a sufficient number of lamps to give a minimum illumination of 0.2 lux at floor level.
Where emergency lighting is provided, the capacity of the battery and charging system must be sufficient to provide the illumination required by NSW I5D16 for—
- 30 minutes, in respect of a temporary structure designed to accommodate not more than 1000 persons; and
- 60 minutes, in respect of a temporary structure designed to accommodate more than 1000 persons.
Emergency lighting power supply