Part I3 Farm buildings and farm sheds
Application of Part
Fire resistance and separation
Provision for escape
Construction of exits
Fixed platforms, walkways, stairways and ladders
Fire fighting equipment
Fire hydrants and water supplies
- provided with a fire hydrant system installed in accordance with AS 2419.1, except reference to ‘4 hours’ water supply in clause 4.2 is replaced with ‘2 hours’; or
- located on the same allotment as an access point to a water supply which—
- has a minimum total capacity of 144,000 litres; and
- is situated so as to enable emergency services vehicles access to within 4 m; and
- is located within 60 m of the building and not more than 90 m from any part of the building.
- A water storage tank.
- A dam.
- A reservoir.
- A river.
- A lake.
- A bore.
- A sea.
- located not less than 10 m from the building; and
- fitted with at least one small bore suction connection and one large bore suction connection where—
- each suction connection is located in a position so as to enable emergency service vehicles access to within 4 m; and
- the suction connections are located not less than 10 m from the building; and
- ‘small bore suction connection’ and ‘large bore suction connection’ have the meanings contained in AS 2419.1.
Fire hose reels
Portable fire extinguishers
- one portable fire extinguisher rated at not less than 5ABE in each room containing flammable materials or electrical equipment; and
- one portable fire extinguisher rated at not less than 4A60BE adjacent to every required exit door; and
- location signs complying with clauses 3.3 to 3.9 of AS 2444 above each required portable fire extinguisher.
Emergency lighting requirements
Design and operation of exit signs
- the use of illuminated exit signs may adversely impact the behaviour or welfare of animals being kept in the building; and
- non-illuminated exit signs are installed in accordance with the requirements of Appendix D of AS/NZS 2293.1 as for an externally illuminated exit sign, and clauses 5.6 and 5.8 of AS/NZS 2293.1.
Height of rooms and other spaces
- in a room, corridor, passageway or the like — 2.1 m; and
- in a room or space with a sloping ceiling or projections — a height of not less than 2.1 m for at least two-thirds of the floor area of the room or space, and when calculating the floor area of the room or space, any part that has a ceiling height of less than 1.5 m is not included; and
- in a stairway, ramp, landing or the like — 2.0 m measured vertically above the nosing line of stairway treads or the floor surface of the ramp, landing or the like.
- occupants are provided with visibility sufficient for safe movement through suitable alternative means; and
- the use of artificial lighting could adversely affect the function of the building including, but not limited to—
- the behaviour or welfare of animals being kept in the building; or
- the cultivating or propagating of plants or fungi.