Specification 32 Construction of proscenium walls
2019: Spec H1.3: 1
This Specification contains the requirements for the construction of proscenium walls for theatres, public halls, or the like.
Separation of stage areas, etc
2019: Spec H1.3: 2
- located on the stage side of the proscenium wall; and
- separated from corridors and the like by construction having an FRL of not less than 60/60/60, and if of lightweight construction, complying with Specification 6.
Proscenium wall construction
2019: Spec H1.3: 3
A proscenium wall must—
- extend to the underside of the roof covering or the underside of the structural floor next above; and
- have an FRL of not less than 60/60/60, and if of lightweight construction, comply with Specification 6.
Combustible materials not to cross proscenium wall
2019: Spec H1.3: 4
Protection of openings in proscenium wall
2019: Spec H1.3: 5
Every opening in a proscenium wall must be protected—
- at the principal opening, by a curtain in accordance with S32C6 which is—
- capable of closing the proscenium opening within 35 seconds either by gravity slide or motor assisted mechanisms; and
- operated by a system of automatic heat activated devices, manually operated devices or push button emergency devices; and
- able to be operated from either the stage side or the audience side of the curtain; and
- at any doorway in the wall, by a self-closing –/60/30 fire door.
2019: Spec H1.3: 6
A curtain required by S32C5 must be—
- a fire safety curtain—
- made of non-combustible material; and
- capable of withstanding a pressure differential of 0.5 kPa over its entire surface area; and
- so fitted that when fully lowered it inhibits the penetration of smoke around the perimeter of the opening, from the stage; or
- a curtain—
- having fire hazard properties complying with Specification 7; and
- protected by a deluge system of open sprinklers installed along the full width of the curtain.