Part C3 Compartmentation and separation
SA C3D16 Class 2 external walls exposed to brush fences2019: SA C2.15
Insert SA clause C3D16 in clause C3D16 as follows:
- An external wall or part of an external wall exposed to the brush fence must be fire-resisting and extend to the underside of a non-combustible roof covering or a non-combustible eaves lining or to a point at which exposure to the brush fence no longer exists and must—
- have a FRL of at least 60/60/60 when tested from the outside; or
- be of masonry veneer construction in which the external masonry veneer is not less than 90 mm thick; or
- be of masonry construction not less than 90 mm thick; and
- have any exposed openings protected in accordance with C4D5.
- Where an external wall is required by (a) to be fire-resisting, only that part of the wall, including openings within the specified distance, need to be constructed in that manner.
- The requirements of (a) do not apply to subfloor vents, roof vents, weepholes, control joints, construction joints and penetrations for pipes, conduits and the like.
- The following are permitted to encroach within 3 m of a brush fence—
- non-combustible fascias, gutters, downpipes; and
- eaves with non-combustible roof cladding and non-combustible lining; and
- flues, chimneys, pipes, domestic fuel tanks, cooling or heating appliances or other services; and
- light fittings, electricity or gas meters, aerials or antennas; and
- pergolas, sun blinds or water tanks; and
- unroofed terraces, landings, steps and ramps, not more than 1 m in height.
- The distance from any point on an external wall of a building to a brush fence is measured in any direction from the external wall.