Part 9.4 Fire protection of garage top dwellings
Walls requiring protection
- any wall separating parts of the Class 1a dwelling from the private garage not associated with the dwelling must comply with (2); and
- any private garage associated with and located below the Class 1a dwelling must be separated from the private garage not associated with the dwelling by a wall complying with (2).
- have either—
- an FRL of not less than 60/60/60 when tested from the private garage associated with another dwelling side; or
- be of masonry construction not less than 90 mm thick; and
- commence at the footings or ground slab; and
- extend to the underside of a separating floor complying with 9.4.2; and
- comply with 9.3.1(2) to (5) and 9.3.2 as applicable.
- be a floor/ceiling or floor/soffit system incorporating a ceiling or soffit which has a resistance to the incipient spread of fire to the space above itself of not less than 60 minutes; or
- have an FRL not less than 30/30/30 when tested from the underside; or
- have a fire-protective covering on the underside of the floor, including beams incorporated in it, if the floor is combustible or of metal.