NT Part 13.4 Building sealing
NT 13.4.1 Application of Part 13.4New for 2022
This Part applies to—
- a Class 1 building; and
- a Class 10a building with a conditioned space.
This Part does not apply to:
- A building where the only means of air-conditioning is by using an evaporative cooler.
- A permanent building ventilation opening that is necessary for the safe operation of a gas appliance.
- A Class 10a building used for the accommodation of vehicles.
NT 13.4.2 Chimneys and fluesNew for 2022
The chimney or flue of an open solid-fuel burning appliance must be provided with a damper or flap that can be closed to seal the chimney or flue.
NT 13.4.3 Roof lightsNew for 2022
- an imperforate ceiling diffuser or the like installed at the ceiling or internal lining level; or
- a weatherproof seal if it is a roof window; or
- a shutter system readily operated either manually, mechanically or electronically by the occupant.
NT 13.4.4 External windows and doorsNew for 2022
- An external louvre door, louvre window or other such opening.
- A window complying with the maximum air infiltration rates specified in AS 2047.
NT 13.4.5 Exhaust fansNew for 2022
An exhaust fan must be fitted with a sealing device such as a self-closing damper, filter or the like when serving a conditioned space.
An exhaust fan is considered to be adequately sealed if it is fitted with a filter such as the type commonly used in kitchen range hoods.
NT 13.4.6 Construction of ceilings, walls and floorsNew for 2022
- enclosed by internal lining systems that are close fitting at ceiling, wall and floor junctions; or
- sealed at junctions and penetrations with—
- by close-fitting skirting, architraves, cornices; or
- expanding foam, rubber compressive strip, or caulking, or the like.
NT 13.4.7 Evaporative coolersNew for 2022
An evaporative cooler must be fitted with a self-closing damper or the like when serving a heated space.
The self-closing damper should create an effective seal against air infiltration.