Part 8.1 Scope and application of Section 8
New for 2022
This Section sets out the Deemed-to-Satisfy Provisions for—
These provisions relate to the design, manufacture and installation of windows in external walls and the use of glass in Class 1 and 10 buildings. The selection of glass in Part 8.3 applies to other assemblies that may not be in an external wall of a Class 1 or 10 building.
The terms windows and glazed assemblies are used throughout Section 8. The term window is defined in the NCC and relates to a device which is capable of transmitting natural light directly from outside a building or room when it is in the closed position. This is distinct from glazed assemblies which may also include elements located in internal parts of a building. These may be glazed panels, splash-backs, mirrors, shower screens or window-type assemblies that are not subject to wind loads and weatherproofing requirements.
A number of other parts of NCC Volume Two and the ABCB Housing Provisions also contain requirements relating to glazing in addition to this Part. They include:
- H1D5 of NCC Volume Two and Part 5.2 of the ABCB Housing Provisions for flashing material requirements.
- H7D2 of NCC Volume Two for glazed barriers for swimming pool enclosures.
- H7D4 for windows in buildings in designated bushfire prone areas.
- Part 13.3 of the ABCB Housing Provisions for glazing subject to energy efficiency requirements.
New for 2022
The application of this Section is subject to the following:
- The Governing Requirements of NCC Volume Two.
- The State and Territory variations, additions and deletions contained in the Schedules to the ABCB Housing Provisions and NCC Volume Two.
In NCC 2019, the content of Section 8 of the ABCB Housing Provisions (other than content added in NCC 2022 or later) was contained in the acceptable construction practice for Part 3.6 of NCC 2019 Volume Two.