Specification 41 Cross-connection hazards
VIC S41C3 Protection types and hazard ratings2019: BS5.1.3
VIC S41C4 Individual protection2019: BS5.1.4
Delete subclause S41C4(3) and insert VIC S41C4(3) as follows:
- Coils and jackets in heat exchangers, in unsealed and toxic environments.
- Steam calorifiers.
- Steam boilers.
- Antibiotic injectors (agricultural).
- Bidets and toilet douche seats where the outlet in any position is not 25 mm above the overflow level of the pan.
- Bidettes installed without a minimum 25 mm air gap.
- Handheld bidet / douche hoses and trigger sprays.
- Chemical dispensers (high toxicity).
- Cooling towers.
- Demineralising equipment using ion-exchange resins with acid and alkali regeneration.
- Equipment used for handling, mixing, measuring and processing chemical and microbiological substances.
- Fogging and cleaning sprays with chemical injection or additives.
- Mixing of chemicals.
- Pan washing apparatus.
- Photographic developers with drinking water supply rinse tanks or mixing facilities.
- Plants with auxiliary non-drinking water supplies.
- Type D irrigation system injected with fertilisers, herbicides, nematicides, insecticides or weedicides.
- Weed and pest spraying and water cartage tanks.
- Portable and mobile tankers.
- Placenta / surgical waste disposal units.
- Food preparation or food storage tanks, vats or vessels (with clean-in-place systems).
- Buried rainwater tank.
VIC S41C6 Containment protection2019 BS5.1.6
Delete clause S41C6 and insert VIC S41C6 as follows:
- A water service provided to a Class 1, Class 2, Class 7a or Class 10 building where—
- not more than 12 persons reside; and
- the building may only use non-commercial amounts of cleaning products.
- Premises served by a rainwater harvesting system, not including any rainwater storage tanks that are buried tanks.
- Properties with only a drinking water service provided by a Network Utility Operator.
- Properties served by a Network Utility Operator's recycled water supply.
- A water service provided to a Class 7b building where chemicals may be stored.
- A water service provided to a Class 8 or Class 9 building.
- A water service provided to a property used for commercial agriculture, farming, turf irrigation, industrial, processing or chemical industries.
- A water service provided to a property that has non-drinking water services from multiple sources with potential for health related contamination.
Medium Hazard properties for the purpose of containment protection include the following—
- Caravan parks.
- Food and beverage processing plants.
- Premises that are connected to a grey water re-use system or a reticulated and disinfected reclaimed water system.
- Public swimming pools.
High Hazard properties for the purpose of containment protection include the following—
- Car and plant washing facilities.
- Chemical laboratories.
- Chemical plants.
- Factories using, processing or manufacturing toxic chemicals.
- Hospitals, mortuaries, dental surgeries, clinics or day surgeries and the like containing patient care areas such as an operating theatre, minor procedures consultation room, resuscitation, intensive care and coronary care.
- Metal finishing plants.
- Pathology laboratories.
- Petroleum processing and storage plants and facilities.
- Piers, docks and other waterfront facilities.
- Premises where access to conduct inspections is restricted.
- Sanitary depots.
- Sewerage treatment plants and sewerage lift stations.
- Premises containing wastewater dump points.
- Industrial processing.
- Chemical industries.
- Clause (2)(a); building classes 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7b are likely to have greater than 12 occupants (residents and/or workers) and may contain moderate amounts of cleaning or commercial chemicals, or a separate fire-fighting water service.
- Clause (3)(b) and (3)(c); a property presents a risk from wastewater effluent irrigation system, process water and/or bore water. The property has an increased potential for cross-connection between drinking water and non-drinking water with high consequences such as chemicals, recycled sewerage, medical, biological, toxic or hazardous substances.
- In some jurisdictions, regulations issued under water supply legislation, and/or rules set by a Network Utility Operator, may prescribe containment protection which differs from this Specification. If this occurs then those regulations and/or rules should be followed in place of this Specification. This Specification only applies for the purposes of compliance with Volume Three of the NCC. It is not intended to limit or extend the application of other regulations.