VIC Part E4 Stormwater - Surface and sub-surface drainage systems
Introduction to this Part
This Part sets out the requirements for the design, construction, installation, replacement, repair, alteration and maintenance of any part of a surface drainage system to the point of connection.
The Objective of this Part is to—
- safeguard people from illness, injury or loss (including loss of amenity) due to the failure of a drainage installation;
- ensure that a stormwater drainage installation is adequate; and
- conserve water and energy; and
- safeguard the environment; and
- safeguard public and private infrastructure; and
- ensure that a stormwater drainage installation is designed and is capable of being maintained so that throughout its serviceable life it will continue to satisfy Objectives (a) to (e).
Buildings and their surroundings are to be provided with a surface drainage and subsurface drainage installation and be constructed in such a manner as to provide protection for people, property and the environment from the adverse effects of stormwater.
Surface drainage systems
- Blockage and uncontrolled discharge.
- Damage from root penetration, superimposed loads or ground movement.
- Entry of sewage and/or liquid trade waste.
- Entry of stormwater into a sanitary drainage.
- Damage to the Network Utility Operator's drainage system
- Foul air and gases accumulating in the stormwater system.
- Loss to buildings or property.
Design, construction and installation