SA Part H9 Water efficiency
Introduction to this Part
This Part contains additional requirements for water efficiency.
SA H9O1 Objective2019: SA 2.1
The Objective of this Part is to efficiently use all available water supplies.
SA H9F1 Water efficiency2019: SA 2.1
A building is to be constructed in a way that efficiently uses all available water supplies to reduce the amount required from the mains reticulated water supply.
SA H9P1 Water efficiency2019: SA 2.1
A building must provide an additional water supply (other than the mains reticulated water supply) which must be plumbed to at least a water closet or a water heater or all the cold water laundry outlets.
SA H9D1 Deemed-to-Satisfy Provisions2019: SA 2.2.1
Compliance with SA H9D2 to SA H9D6 for water efficiency satisfies Performance Requirement SA H9P1.
SA H9D2 Application of Part2019: SA 2 (application)
- the roof catchment area is 50 m2 or more; and
- the building or extension is located in a Council area, excluding the Municipal Council of Roxby Downs and the District Council of Coober Pedy; and
- for an extension, where it incorporates a water closet or a water heater or laundry cold water outlet.
SA H9D3 Rainwater tank capacity2019: SA 2.2.2
- collected by a drainage system complying with H1D7; and
- stored in a rainwater tank, the storage capacity of which is not less than 1 kilolitre (1000 litres); and
- plumbed to at least a water closet or a water heater or all laundry cold water outlets.
SA H9D3 requires the rainwater tank to be plumbed to a water closet, water heater or all laundry cold water outlets. The Office of the Technical Regulator regulates plumbing work in South Australia under the Water Industry Act 2012, including plumbing the rainwater tank to the water closet, water heater or laundry cold water outlets. Stormwater connections, including from the roof to the rainwater tank, and from rainwater tank overflow, are regulated by the local council or relevant authority under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016.
SA H9D4 Rainwater tank overflow2019: SA 2.2.3
The rainwater tank must be fitted with an overflow device that disposes of overflow from the rainwater tank in accordance with—
- any specific requirements of the relevant authority; and
- Part 3.3 of the ABCB Housing Provisions.
SA H9D5 Rainwater tank water quality2019: SA 2.2.4
The inlet and overflow of the rainwater tank must be fitted with mosquito proof, non-degradable screens.
SA H9D5 requires the fitting of mosquito proof, non-degradable screens to the rainwater tank. The quality of the water stored in the rainwater tank should be managed in accordance with the Department of Health publication ‘Guidance on the use of rainwater tanks’.
SA H9D6 Rainwater tank stands2019: SA 2.2.5
Where a rainwater tank is supported on a stand or other structure, the supporting structure must comply with clause 2.2.2 of the ABCB Housing Provisions.