Note: States and Territories may vary or add to the definitions contained in A1.1 at the relevant State or Territory Appendix.
In Volume One of the BCA unless the contrary intention appears—
means having features to enable use by people with a disability.
means a continuous Open link in same pageaccessible path of travel (as defined in AS 1428.1) to, into or within a building.
Accredited Testing Laboratory
Aged care building
means a Class 9c building for residential accommodation of aged persons who, due to varying degrees of incapacity associated with the ageing process, are provided with Open link in same pagepersonal care services and 24 hour staff assistance to evacuate the building during an emergency.
Air-conditioning, for the purposes of Open link in same pageSection J, means a Open link in same pageservice that actively cools or heats the air within a space, but does not include a Open link in same pageservice that directly—
- an organisation accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) to undertake the relevant tests; or
- an organisation outside Australia accredited to undertake the relevant tests by an authority, recognised by NATA through a mutual recognition agreement; or
- an organisation recognised as being an Accredited Testing Laboratory under legislation at the time the test was undertaken.
- cools or heats cold or hot rooms; or
- maintains specialised conditions for equipment or processes, where this is the main purpose of the Open link in same pageservice.
Alteration, in relation to a building, includes an addition or extension to a building.
means a Open link in same pagePerformance Solution.
means an element that is secondary to and not an integral part of another element to which it is attached.
Annual energy consumption
means the theoretical amount of energy used annually by the building's Open link in same pageservices, excluding kitchen exhaust and the like.
- likely to be subject to significant snowfalls; and
- in New South Wales, A.C.T. or Victoria more than 1200 m above the Australian Height Datum; and
- in Tasmania more than 900 m above the Australian Height Datum.
(NSW, Appropriate authority)
means the relevant authority with the statutory responsibility to determine the particular matter.
Appropriately qualified person means a person recognised by the appropriate authority as having qualifications and/or experience in the relevant discipline in question.
(NSW, Assembly building)
(SA, Assembly building)
means a building where people may assemble for—
means a method that can be used for determining that a Open link in same pagePerformance Solution or Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Solution complies with the Open link in same pagePerformance Requirements.
means a space within a building that connects 2 or more Open link in same pagestoreys, and—
- civic, theatrical, social, political or religious purposes including a library, theatre, public hall or place of worship; or
- educational purposes in a Open link in same pageschool, Open link in same pageearly childhood centre, preschool, or the like; or
- entertainment, recreational or sporting purposes including—
- a discotheque, nightclub or a bar area of a hotel or motel providing live entertainment or containing a dance floor; or
- a cinema; or
- a sports stadium, sporting or other club; or
- transit purposes including a bus station, railway station, airport or ferry terminal.
means a space in an Open link in same pageatrium bounded by the perimeter of the openings in the floors or by the perimeter of the floors and the Open link in same pageexternal walls.
means designed to operate when activated by a heat, smoke or fire sensing device.
Average recurrence interval, applied to rainfall, means the expected or average interval between exceedances for a 5 minute duration rainfall intensity.
Average specific extinction area
means the average specific extinction area for smoke as determined by AS/NZS 3837.
means a space associated with, and adjacent to, a Open link in same pagestage in a Class 9b building for scenery, props, equipment, dressing rooms, or the like.
means a vessel or an arrangement of vessels and interconnecting parts, wherein steam or other vapour is generated, or water or other liquid is heated at a pressure above that of the atmosphere, by the application of fire, the products of combustion, electrical power, or similar high temperature means, and—
- is wholly or substantially enclosed at the top by a floor or roof (including a glazed roof structure); and
- includes any adjacent part of the building not separated by an appropriate barrier to fire; but
- does not include a stairwell, rampwell or the space within a Open link in same pageshaft.
means a solution which complies with the Open link in same pagePerformance Requirements and is a—
- includes superheaters, reheaters, economisers, Open link in same pageboiler piping, supports, mountings, valves, gauges, fittings, controls, the Open link in same pageboiler settings and directly associated equipment; but
- excludes a fully flooded or pressurised system where water or other liquid is heated to a temperature lower than the normal atmospheric boiling temperature of the liquid.
means a building that is used for the parking of motor vehicles but is neither a Open link in same pageprivate garage nor used for the servicing of vehicles, other than washing, cleaning or polishing.
Cavity wall, for the purposes of FV1, means a wall that incorporates a drained cavity.
Certificate of Accreditation
means a certificate issued by a State or Territory accreditation authority stating that the properties and performance of a building material or method of construction or design fulfill specific requirements of the BCA.
Certificate of Conformity
means a certificate issued under the ABCB scheme for products and systems certification stating that the properties and performance of a building material or method of construction or design fulfill specific requirements of the BCA.
means a person or organisation operating in the field of material, product, form of construction or design certification that has been accredited by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) for a purpose other than as part of the CodeMark Australia or CodeMark Certification Scheme.
means an area defined in Open link in same pageFigure A1.1 and in Open link in same pageTable A1.1 for specific locations, having energy efficiency provisions based on a range of similar climatic characteristics.
- Open link in same pagePerformance Solution; or
- Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Solution; or
- combination of Open link in same page(a) and Open link in same page(b).
FIGURE A1.1 — CLIMATE ZONES FOR THERMAL DESIGN
Figure A1.1 — CLIMATE ZONES FOR THERMAL DESIGN
Show Full Sized Image
- This map can be viewed in enlargeable form on the ABCB website at www.abcb.gov.au.
- A Zone 4 area in South Australia, other than a council area, at an altitude greater than 300 m above the Australian Height Datum is to be considered as Zone 5.
These areas have been defined in an enlarged format on the following maps produced by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure:
Adelaide Hills Council Climate Zone Map
Barossa Council Climate Zone Map
Regional Council of Goyder Climate Zone Map
These maps can be viewed on the Government of South Australia website at www.sa.gov.au
- Locations in climate zone 8 are in alpine areas.
TABLE A1.1 CLIMATE ZONES FOR THERMAL DESIGN -VARIOUS LOCATIONS
|Australian Capital Territory
|New South Wales
||Lord Howe Island
|Bellingen Shire - Dorrigo Plateau
|Bellingen Shire - Valley & seaboard
means a wall that is common to adjoining buildings.
means a space within a building, including a ceiling or under-floor supply air plenum or return air plenum, where the environment is likely, by the intended use of the space, to have its temperature controlled by Open link in same pageair-conditioning, but does not include—
- applied to a material — Open link in same pagecombustible as determined by AS 1530.1; and
- applied to construction or part of a building — constructed wholly or in part of Open link in same pagecombustible materials.
Construction activity actions
means actions due to stacking of building materials or the use of equipment, including cranes and trucks, during construction or actions which may be induced by floor to floor propping.
Critical radiant flux
means the critical heat flux at extinguishment as determined by AS ISO 9239.1.
means a non-Open link in same pageloadbearing Open link in same pageexternal wall that is not a Open link in same pagepanel wall.
means provisions which are deemed to satisfy the Open link in same pagePerformance Requirements.
means a method of satisfying the Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Provisions.
Defined flood event
(DFE) means the flood event selected for the management of flood hazard for the location of specific development as determined by the Open link in same pageappropriate authority.
Defined flood level
(DFL) means the flood level associated with a Open link in same pagedefined flood event relative to a specified datum.
- a non-Open link in same pagehabitable room of a Class 2 building or Class 4 part of a building in which a heater with a capacity of not more than 1.2 kW or 4.3 MJ/hour provides the Open link in same pageair-conditioning; or
- a space in a Class 6, 7, 8 or 9b building where the input energy to an Open link in same pageair-conditioning system is not more than 15 W/m2 or 15 J/s.m2 (54 KJ/hour.m2); or
- a lift Open link in same pageshaft.
(NSW, Designated bushfire prone area)
Designated bushfire prone area
means land which has been designated under a power of legislation as being subject, or likely to be subject, to bushfires.
means a building in which persons are securely detained by means of the built structure including a prison, remand centre, juvenile Open link in same pagedetention centre, holding cells or psychiatric Open link in same pagedetention centre.
Direct fix cladding wall, for the purposes of FV1, means a wall with cladding attached directly to the wall framing without the use of a drained cavity.
(NSW, Early childhood centre)
(Tas, Early childhood centre)
(Vic, Early childhood centre)
Early childhood centre
means any premises or part thereof providing or intending to provide a centre-based education and care service within the meaning of the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 (Vic), the Education and Care Services National Regulations and centre-based services that are licensed or approved under State and Territory children's services law, but excludes education and care primarily provided to school aged children in outside school hours settings.
means the vertical distance between the floor of the lowest Open link in same pagestorey included in the calculation of Open link in same pagerise in storeys and the floor of the topmost Open link in same pagestorey (excluding the topmost Open link in same pagestorey if it contains only heating, ventilating, lift or other equipment, water tanks or similar service units).
Electric passenger lift
means a power-operated lift for raising or lowering people in a car in which the motion of the car is obtained from an electric motor mechanically coupled to the hoisting mechanism.
Electricity network substation
means a building in which high voltage supply is converted or transformed and which is controlled by a licensed network service provider designated under a power of legislation.
Electrohydraulic passenger lift
means a power-operated lift for raising or lowering people in a car in which the motion of the car is obtained from the action of liquid under pressure acting on a piston or ram, the pressure being generated by a pump driven by an individual electric motor.
Envelope, for the purposes of Open link in same pageSection J, means the parts of a building’s Open link in same pagefabric that separate a Open link in same pageconditioned space or Open link in same pagehabitable room from—
means equivalent to the level of health, safety and amenity provided by the Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Provisions.
means the continuous path of travel (including Open link in same pageexits, Open link in same pagepublic corridors and the like) from any part of a building, including within a Open link in same pagesole-occupancy unit in a Class 2 or 3 building or Class 4 part, to a Open link in same pagesafe place.
means the time calculated from when the emergency starts for the occupants of the building to evacuate to a Open link in same pagesafe place.
- the exterior of the building; or
- a non-Open link in same pageconditioned space including—
- the floor of a rooftop plant room, lift-machine room or the like; and
- the floor above a Open link in same pagecarpark or warehouse; and
- the Open link in same pagecommon wall with a Open link in same pagecarpark, warehouse or the like.
means the judgement of an expert who has the qualifications and experience to determine whether a Open link in same pagePerformance Solution or Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Solution complies with the Open link in same pagePerformance Requirements.
means an outer wall of a building which is not a Open link in same pagecommon wall.
means the basic building structural elements and components of a building including the roof, ceilings, walls and floors.
Fan motor power
means the power delivered to a motor of a fan, including the power needed for any drive and impeller losses.
- Any, or any combination of the following if they provide egress to a road or Open link in same pageopen space—
- An internal or external stairway.
- A ramp.
- A Open link in same pagefire-isolated passageway.
- A doorway opening to a road or Open link in same pageopen space.
- A Open link in same pagehorizontal exit or a Open link in same pagefire-isolated passageway leading to a Open link in same pagehorizontal exit.
means— but does not include forestry or maintaining animals for sport or recreational purposes.
- cultivating, propagating and harvesting plants or fungi or their products or parts, including seeds, spores, bulbs or the like, but does not include forestry; or
- maintaining animals in any physical environment for the purposes of—
- breeding them; or
- selling them; or
- acquiring and selling their bodily produce such as milk, wool, eggs or the like; or
- a combination of Open link in same page(a) and Open link in same page(b),
(SA, Farm building)
means a Class 7 or 8 building located on land primarily used for Open link in same pagefarming—
- that is—
- used in connection with Open link in same pagefarming; or
- used primarily to store one or more Open link in same pagefarm vehicles; or
- a combination of Open link in same page(i) and Open link in same page(ii); and
- in which the total number of persons accommodated at any time does not exceed one person per 200 m² of Open link in same pagefloor area or part thereof, up to a maximum of 8 persons; and
- with a total Open link in same pagefloor area of not more than 3500 m².
(SA, Farm shed)
means a single Open link in same pagestorey Class 7 or 8 building located on land primarily used for Open link in same pagefarming—
- that is—
- used in connection with Open link in same pagefarming; or
- used primarily to store one or more Open link in same pagefarm vehicles; or
- a combination of Open link in same page(i) and Open link in same page(ii); and
- occupied neither frequently nor for extended periods by people; and
- in which the total number of persons accommodated at any time does not exceed 2; and
- with a total Open link in same pagefloor area of more than 500 m² but not more than 2000 m².
(SA, Farm vehicle)
means a vehicle used in connection with Open link in same pagefarming.
means a statutory authority constituted under an Act of Parliament having as one of its functions, the protection of life and property from fire and other emergencies.
means the danger in terms of potential harm and degree of exposure arising from the start and spread of fire and the smoke and gases that are thereby generated.
Fire hazard properties
means the following properties of a material or assembly that indicate how they behave under specific fire test conditions:
- the total space of a building; or
- when referred to in—
- the Open link in same pagePerformance Requirements — any part of a building separated from the remainder by barriers to fire such as walls and/or floors having an appropriate resistance to the spread of fire with any openings adequately protected; or
- the Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Provisions — any part of a building separated from the remainder by walls and/or floors each having an FRL not less than that Open link in same pagerequired for a Open link in same pagefire wall for that type of construction and where all openings in the separating construction are protected in accordance with the Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Provisions of the relevant Part.
means the rate release of calorific energy in watts, determined either theoretically or empirically, as applicable.
means a corridor, hallway or the like, of Open link in same pagefire-resisting construction, which provides egress to or from a Open link in same pagefire-isolated stairway or Open link in same pagefire-isolated ramp or to a road or Open link in same pageopen space.
means a ramp within a Open link in same pagefire-resisting enclosure which provides egress from a Open link in same pagestorey.
means a stairway within a Open link in same pagefire-resisting shaft and includes the floor and roof or top enclosing structure.
means the sum of the net calorific values of the Open link in same pagecombustible contents which can reasonably be expected to burn within a Open link in same pagefire compartment, including furnishings, built-in and removable materials, and building elements. The calorific values must be determined at the ambient moisture content or humidity. (The unit of measurement is MJ.)
means Open link in same pagefire-resisting timber building elements that comply with Specification A1.1.
means— fixed in accordance with the normal trade practice for a Open link in same pagefire-protective covering.
- Open link in same pageAverage specific extinction area, Open link in same pagecritical radiant flux and Open link in same pageFlammability Index, determined as defined in A1.1.
- Open link in same pageSmoke-Developed Index, Open link in same pagesmoke development rate and Open link in same pageSpread-of-Flame Index, determined in accordance with Specification A2.4.
- Open link in same pageGroup number and Open link in same pagesmoke growth rate index (SMOGRARC), determined in accordance with Specification C1.10.
Fire-resistance level (FRL)
means the grading periods in minutes determined in accordance with Specification A2.3, for the following criteria— and expressed in that order.
- 13 mm fire-protective grade plasterboard; or
- 12 mm cellulose cement flat sheeting complying with AS/NZS 2908.2 or ISO 8336; or
- 12 mm fibrous plaster reinforced with 13 mm x 13 mm x 0.7 mm galvanised steel wire mesh located not more than 6 mm from the exposed face; or
- other material not less fire-protective than 13 mm fire-protective grade plasterboard,
- Open link in same pagestructural adequacy; and
- Open link in same pageintegrity; and
- Open link in same pageinsulation,
Fire-resisting, applied to a building element, means having an FRL appropriate for that element.
means one of the Types of construction referred to in Open link in same pagePart C1.
Fire safety system
means one or any combination of the methods used in a building to— and includes both active and passive systems.
Note: A dash means that there is no requirement for that criterion. For example, 90/–/– means there is no requirement for an FRL for integrity and insulation, and –/–/– means there is no requirement for an FRL.
- warn people of an emergency; or
- provide for safe evacuation; or
- restrict the spread of fire; or
- extinguish a fire,
means a wall with an appropriate resistance to the spread of fire that divides a Open link in same pagestorey or building into Open link in same pagefire compartments.
Flashover, in relation to Open link in same pagefire hazard properties, means a heat release rate of 1 MW.
means the index number as determined by AS 1530.2.
means that part of a stairway that has a continuous series of risers, including risers of winders, not interrupted by a landing or floor.
- the far boundary of a road, river, lake or the like adjoining the allotment; or
- a side or rear boundary of the allotment; or
- an Open link in same pageexternal wall of another building on the allotment which is not a Class 10 building.
(Vic, Flood hazard area)
Flood hazard area
means the Open link in same pagesite (whether or not mapped) encompassing land lower than the Open link in same pageflood hazard level which has been determined by the Open link in same pageappropriate authority.
Flood hazard level
(FHL) means the flood level used to determine the height of floors in a building and represents the Open link in same pagedefined flood level plus the Open link in same pagefreeboard.
- in relation to a building — the total area of all Open link in same pagestoreys; and
- in relation to a Open link in same pagestorey — the area of all floors of that Open link in same pagestorey measured over the enclosing walls, and includes—
- the area of a Open link in same pagemezzanine within the Open link in same pagestorey, measured within the finished surfaces of any Open link in same pageexternal walls; and
- the area occupied by any Open link in same pageinternal walls or partitions, any cupboard, or other built-in furniture, fixture or fitting; and
- if there is no enclosing wall, an area which has a use that—
- contributes to the Open link in same pagefire load; or
- impacts on the safety, health or amenity of the occupants in relation to the provisions of the BCA; and
- in relation to a room — the area of the room measured within the finished surfaces of the walls, and includes the area occupied by any cupboard or other built-in furniture, fixture or fitting; and
- in relation to a fire compartment — the total area of all floors within the fire compartment measured within the finished surfaces of the bounding construction, and if there is no bounding construction, includes an area which has a use which contributes to the Open link in same pagefire load; and
- in relation to an Open link in same pageatrium — the total area of all floors within the Open link in same pageatrium measured within the finished surfaces of the bounding construction and if no bounding construction, within the Open link in same pageexternal walls.
means the height above the Open link in same pagedefined flood level as determined by the Open link in same pageappropriate authority, used to compensate for effects such as wave action and localised hydraulic behaviour.
Glazing, for the purposes of Open link in same pageSection J, means a transparent or translucent element and its supporting frame located in the Open link in same pageenvelope, and includes a Open link in same pagewindow other than a Open link in same pageroof light.
means the number of one of 4 groups of materials used in the regulation of Open link in same pagefire hazard properties and applied to materials used as a finish, surface, lining, or attachment to a wall or ceiling.
means a room used for normal domestic activities, and—
means a building whose occupants or patients undergoing medical treatment generally need physical assistance to evacuate the building during an emergency and includes—
- includes a bedroom, living room, lounge room, music room, television room, kitchen, dining room, sewing room, study, playroom, family room, home theatre and sunroom; but
- excludes a bathroom, laundry, water closet, pantry, walk-in wardrobe, corridor, hallway, lobby, photographic darkroom, clothes-drying room, and other spaces of a specialised nature occupied neither frequently nor for extended periods.
means a Open link in same pagerequired doorway between 2 parts of a building separated from each other by a Open link in same pagefire wall.
House energy rating software
means software accredited under the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme and is limited to assessing the potential thermal efficiency of the dwelling envelope.
means the luminous flux falling onto a unit area of surface.
Illumination power density
) means the total of the power that will be consumed by the lights in a space, including any lamps, ballasts, current regulators and control devices other than those that are plugged into socket outlets for intermittent use such as floor standing lamps, desk lamps or work station lamps, divided by the area of the space.
means a power-operated device for raising or lowering people within a carriage that has one or more rigid guides on an inclined plane.
, in relation to an FRL, means the ability to maintain a temperature on the surface not exposed to the furnace below the limits specified in AS 1530.4.
Integrity, in relation to an FRL, means the ability to resist the passage of flames and hot gases specified in AS 1530.4.
excludes a Open link in same pagecommon wall or a party wall.
Lamp power density
) means the total of the maximum power rating of the lamps in a space, other than those that are plugged into socket outlets for intermittent use such as floor standing lamps, desk lamps or work station lamps, divided by the area of the space.
Latent heat gain
means the heat gained by the vapourising of liquid without change of temperature.
Light source efficacy
means the luminous flux of a lamp or the total radiant flux in the visible spectrum weighted by the spectral response of the eye, divided by the electric power that will be consumed by the lamp but excluding ballast and control gear power losses.
means construction which incorporates or comprises—
- a public or private hospital; or
- a nursing home or similar facility for sick or disabled persons needing full-time care; or
- a clinic, day surgery or procedure unit where the effects of the predominant treatment administered involve patients becoming non-ambulatory and requiring supervised medical care on the premises for some time after the treatment.
means intended to resist vertical forces additional to those due to its own weight.
Low-rise, low-speed constant pressure lift
means a power-operated low-rise, low-speed device for raising or lowering people with limited mobility on a carriage that is controlled by the application of constant pressure to a control.
Low-rise platform lift
means a power-operated device for raising or lowering people with limited mobility on a platform, that is controlled automatically or by the application of constant pressure to a control.
means the light reflected from one surface or component, compared to the light reflected from another surface or component.
means an element not less than 75 mm thick as measured in each direction formed from chemically bonded laminated timber and includes:
- sheet or board material, plaster, render, sprayed application, or other material similarly susceptible to damage by impact, pressure or abrasion; or
- concrete and concrete products containing pumice, perlite, vermiculite, or other soft material similarly susceptible to damage by impact, pressure or abrasion; or
- masonry having a thickness less than 70 mm.
means an intermediate floor within a room.
- Cross laminated timber (CLT).
- Laminated veneer lumber (LVL).
- Glued laminated timber (Glulam).
Non-illuminated exit sign
means an Open link in same pageexit sign that complies with the requirements for an externally illuminated Open link in same pageexit sign under AS 2293.3, except clause 3.4.4.
means a carpark in which all parts of the parking Open link in same pagestoreys are cross-ventilated by permanent unobstructed openings in not fewer than 2 opposite or approximately opposite sides, and—
- applied to a material — not deemed Open link in same pagecombustible as determined by AS 1530.1 — Combustibility Tests for Materials; and
- applied to construction or part of a building — constructed wholly of materials that are not deemed Open link in same pagecombustible.
means a space on the allotment, or a roof or similar part of a building adequately protected from fire, open to the sky and connected directly with a public road.
Open spectator stand
means a tiered stand substantially open at the front.
means all or any of the following—
- each side that provides ventilation is not less than 1/6 of the area of any other side; and
- the openings are not less than ½ of the wall area of the side concerned.
means air outside the building.
Outdoor air economy cycle
is a mode of operation of an Open link in same pageair-conditioning system that, when the outside air thermodynamic properties are favourable, increases the quantity of outside air used to condition the space.
means that part of the disposal system receiving Open link in same pagesurface water from the drainage system and may include a natural water course, kerb and channel, or soakage system.
means a non-Open link in same pageloadbearing Open link in same pageexternal wall, in frame or similar construction, that is wholly supported at each Open link in same pagestorey.
Patient care area
means a part of a Open link in same pagehealth-care building normally used for the treatment, care, accommodation, recreation, dining and holding of patients including a Open link in same pageward area and Open link in same pagetreatment area.
means a requirement which states the level of performance which a Open link in same pagePerformance Solution or Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Solution must meet.
Performance Solution (Alternative Solution)
means a method of complying with the Open link in same pagePerformance Requirements other than by a Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Solution.
Personal care services
means any of the following:
- any building on the same or an adjoining allotment; and
- any adjoining allotment; and
- a road.
Piping, for the purposes of Open link in same pageSection J, means an assembly of pipes, with or without valves or other fittings, connected together for the conveyance of liquids and gases.
means a vessel subject to internal or external pressure. It includes interconnected parts and components, valves, gauges and other fittings up to the first point of connection to connecting piping, and—
- The provision of nursing care.
- Assistance or supervision in—
- bathing, showering or personal hygiene; or
- toileting or continence management; or
- dressing or undressing; or
- consuming food.
- The provision of direct physical assistance to a person with mobility problems.
- The management of medication.
- The provision of substantial rehabilitative or development assistance.
Primary building element
means a member of a building designed specifically to take part of the loads specified in Open link in same pageB1.2 and includes roof, ceiling, floor, stairway or ramp and wall framing members including bracing members designed for the specific purpose of acting as a brace to those members.
Private bushfire shelter
means a structure associated with, but not attached to, or part of a Class 1a dwelling that may, as a last resort, provide shelter for occupants from immediate life threatening effects of a bushfire.
- includes fire heaters and gas cylinders; but
- any vessel that falls within the definition of a Open link in same pageboiler; and
- storage tanks and equipment tanks intended for storing liquids where the pressure at the top of the tank is not exceeding 1.4 kPa above or 0.06 kPa below atmospheric pressure; and
- domestic-type hot water supply heaters and tanks; and
- pressure vessels installed for the purposes of fire suppression or which serve a fire suppression system.
Product Technical Statement
means a form of documentary evidence stating that the properties and performance of a material, product or form of construction fulfil specific requirements of the NCC, and describes—
- any garage associated with a Class 1 building; or
- any single Open link in same pagestorey of a building of another Class containing not more than 3 vehicle spaces, if there is only one such Open link in same pagestorey in the building; or
- any separate single Open link in same pagestorey garage associated with another building where such garage contains not more than 3 vehicle spaces.
means a person who is—
- the application and intended use of the material, product or form of construction; and
- how the use of the material, product or form of construction complies with the requirements of the NCC; and
- any limitations and conditions of the use of the material, product or form of construction relevant to (b).
means an enclosed corridor, hallway or the like which—
- if legislation is applicable — a registered Open link in same pageprofessional engineer in the relevant discipline who has appropriate experience and competence in the relevant field; or
- if legislation is not applicable—
- a Corporate Member of the Institution of Engineers, Australia; or
- eligible to become a Corporate Member of the Institution of Engineers, Australia, and has appropriate experience and competence in the relevant field.
means the power delivered to a pump, including the power needed for any drivetrain.
.K/W) means the thermal resistance of a component calculated by dividing its thickness by its thermal conductivity.
means a hypothetical building that is used to calculate the maximum allowable annual energy load, or maximum allowable Open link in same pageannual energy consumption for the proposed building.
means a building membrane with a reflective surface such as a reflective foil laminate, reflective barrier, foil batt or the like capable of reducing radiant heat flow.
means energy that is derived from sources that are regenerated, replenished, or for all practical purposes cannot be depleted and the energy sources include, but are not limited to, solar, wind, hydroelectric, wave action and geothermal.
means Open link in same pagerequired to satisfy a Open link in same pagePerformance Requirement or a Open link in same pageDeemed-to-Satisfy Provision of the BCA as appropriate.
Residential aged care building
means a building whose residents, due to their incapacity associated with the ageing process, are provided with physical assistance in conducting their daily activities and to evacuate the building during an emergency.
Resident use area
means part of a Class 9c building normally used by residents, and—
- serves as a means of egress from 2 or more Open link in same pagesole-occupancy units to a Open link in same pagerequiredOpen link in same page exit from the Open link in same pagestorey concerned; or
- is Open link in same pagerequired to be provided as a means of egress from any part of a Open link in same pagestorey to a Open link in same pagerequiredOpen link in same page exit.
Resistance to the incipient spread of fire
, in relation to a ceiling membrane, means the ability of the membrane to insulate the space between the ceiling and roof, or ceiling and floor above, so as to limit the temperature rise of materials in this space to a level which will not permit the rapid and general spread of fire throughout the space.
Rise in storeys
means the greatest number of Open link in same pagestoreys calculated in accordance with Open link in same pageC1.2.
Roof light, for the purposes of Open link in same pageSection J and Open link in same pagePart F4, means a skylight, Open link in same pagewindow or the like installed in a roof—
- includes Open link in same pagesole-occupancy units, lounges, dining areas, activity rooms and the like; but
- excludes offices, storage areas, commercial kitchens, commercial laundries and other spaces not for the use of residents.
- to permit natural light to enter the room below; and
- at an angle between 0 and 70 degrees measured from the horizontal plane.
means a room or space containing a closet pan or urinal.
means a material such as a Open link in same pagereflective insulation or other flexible membrane of a type normally used for a purpose such as water proofing, vapour proofing or thermal reflectance.
includes a primary or secondary Open link in same pageschool, college, university or similar educational establishment.
Self-closing, applied to a door, means equipped with a device which returns the door to the fully closed position immediately after each opening.
Sensible heat gain
means the heat gained which causes a change in temperature.
Service, for the purposes of Open link in same pageSection J, means a mechanical or electrical system that uses energy to provide Open link in same pageair-conditioning, mechanical ventilation, heated water supply, artificial lighting, vertical transport and the like within a building, but which does not include—
- a place of safety within a building—
- which is not under threat from a fire; and
- from which people must be able to safely disperse after escaping the effects of an emergency to a road or Open link in same pageopen space; or
- a road or Open link in same pageopen space.
means a garage which is not a Open link in same pageprivate garage and is for the servicing of vehicles, other than only washing, cleaning or polishing.
means the walls and other parts of a building bounding—
- systems used solely for emergency purposes; and
- cooking facilities; and
- portable appliances.
means the area affected by water from a shower, including a shower over a bath.
means the part of the allotment of land on which a building stands or is to be erected.
means work on or around a Open link in same pagesite, including earthworks, preparatory to or associated with the construction, Open link in same pagealteration, demolition or removal of a building.
Small-sized, low-speed automatic lift
means a restricted use power-operated device for the infrequent raising or lowering of people with limited mobility on a platform that is controlled automatically but has the capability of being electrically isolated by a key-lockable control.
means a vent, located in or near the roof for smoke and hot gases to escape if there is a fire in the building.
means the index number for smoke as determined by AS/NZS 1530.3.
Smoke development rate
means the development rate for smoke as determined by testing flooring materials in accordance with AS ISO 9239.1.
Smoke growth rate index
) means the index number for smoke used in the regulation of Open link in same pagefire hazard properties and applied to materials used as a finish, surface, lining or attachment to a wall or ceiling.
means a room or other part of a building for occupation by one or joint owner, lessee, tenant, or other occupier to the exclusion of any other owner, lessee, tenant, or other occupier and includes—
- a well, other than an Open link in same pageatrium well; or
- a vertical chute, duct or similar passage, but not a chimney or flue.
means the index number for spread of flame as determined by AS/NZS 1530.3.
means a floor or platform in a Class 9b building on which performances are presented before an audience.
Stairway platform lift
means a power-operated device for raising or lowering people with limited mobility on a platform (with or without a chair) in the direction of a stairway.
Standard Fire Test
means the Fire-resistance Tests of Elements of Building Construction as described in AS 1530.4.
means a space within a building which is situated between one floor level and the floor level next above, or if there is no floor above, the ceiling or roof above, but not—
- a dwelling; or
- a room or suite of rooms in a Class 3 building which includes sleeping facilities; or
- a room or suite of associated rooms in a Class 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 building; or
- a room or suite of associated rooms in a Class 9c building, which includes sleeping facilities and any area for the exclusive use of a resident.
Structural adequacy, in relation to an FRL, means the ability to maintain stability and adequate Open link in same pageloadbearing capacity as determined by AS 1530.4.
means all naturally occurring water, other than sub-Open link in same pagesurface water, which results from rainfall on or around the Open link in same pagesite or water flowing onto the Open link in same pagesite.
means any excavation or structure containing water and principally used, or that is designed, manufactured or adapted to be principally used for swimming, wading, paddling, or the like, including a bathing or wading pool, or spa.
means the sum of the Open link in same pageR-Values of the individual component layers in a composite element including any building material, insulating material, airspace and associated surface resistances.
Total System Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC)
means the fraction of incident irradiance on Open link in same pageglazing or a Open link in same pageroof light that adds heat to a building’s space.
Total System U-Value
.K) means the thermal transmittance of the composite element allowing for the effect of any airspaces and associated surface resistances.
means an area within a Open link in same pagepatient care area such as an operating theatre and rooms used for recovery, minor procedures, resuscitation, intensive care and coronary care from which a patient may not be readily moved.
Unique wall, for the purposes of FV1, means a wall which is neither a Open link in same pagecavity wall nor a Open link in same pagedirect fix cladding wall.
means a test, inspection, calculation or other method that determines whether a Open link in same pagePerformance Solution complies with the relevant Open link in same pagePerformance Requirements.
means an open, pre-formed, pre-finished concave receptacle capable of holding water, usually for the purpose of washing, including a basin, sink, bath, laundry tub and the like.
means that part of a Open link in same pagepatient care area for resident patients and may contain areas for accommodation, sleeping, associated living and nursing facilities.
means the property of a material that does not allow moisture to penetrate through it.
means the property of a system or material that restricts moisture movement and will not degrade under conditions of moisture.
means an area within a building supplied with water from a water supply system, which includes bathrooms, showers, laundries and Open link in same pagesanitary compartments and excludes kitchens, bar areas, kitchenettes or domestic food and beverage preparation areas.
includes a roof light, glass panel, glass block or brick, glass louvre, glazed sash, glazed door, or other device which transmits natural light directly from outside a building to the room concerned when in the closed position.
- a space that contains only—
- a lift Open link in same pageshaft, stairway or meter room; or
- a bathroom, shower room, laundry, water closet, or other Open link in same pagesanitary compartment; or
- accommodation intended for not more than 3 vehicles; or
- a combination of the above; or
- a Open link in same pagemezzanine.